Turn your bathroom into a salon with a trip to pantry (or fridge)! Try this wonderful list of at-home hair treatments we have compiled for you.
1) Carrots: Who would have thunk it?! If you have scarlet locks, you can revitalize and deepen your color with this produce staple! Cut 2 large carrots into big chunks and boil in 2 cups water. Turn down the heat and simmer until the water has a lovely orange glow. Cool the water and remove the carrot chunks (We dying to know what would happen if you pureed it and used it as a hair mask including the carrot chunks!). Pour the carrot water over dry hair. Put on your favorite shower cap and wait 20 minutes. Rinse and then use a mild shampoo and conditioner. You'll look as radiant as your Christmas Tree!
2) Milk: Add 1 tsp honey to 2 cups of warm milk. If you have coarse hair use whole milk and if you have fine hair use skim milk! Mix the ingredients until the honey dissolves and pour over dry hair. After 15 minutes rinse with warm water and shampoo and condition as usual.
3) Almond Oil: Frizzy hair? This tip is for you! To make a hair mask, combine a 1/4 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, and a 1 tbsp of almond oil. Blend the mixture and work it into your hair from the root to the tip. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse and shampoo.
4) Mayonnaise: To thicken your hair try a Mayo Mask! Slather on approximately a 1/2 cup of plain mayo over your hair from root to tip. Let it sit for 30 minutes before shampooing.
5) Egg and EVOO: Here is a tip to help prevent future split ends. Make a hair mask by beating 1 egg yolk, 2 tbsps of olive oil, and 1 tsp of honey. Massage in hair thoroughly. Put on your trusty shower cap and let the mixture soak in for 30 minutes. Rinse and shampoo.
6) Avocado: Have a spare sitting around after making guacamole? Here is a great hair mask idea. Mix mashed avocado with 1 tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of honey. Apply to your hair and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and shampoo.
7) Beer, Lemon Juice, or Vinegar: Mix any ONE of these items with water (do not combine the three). Apply AFTER shampooing as a rinse. This will make your hair shine!
8) Papaya or Banana: Both of these fruits are excellent for split ends! Take the flesh of a fresh papaya (remove the skin and seeds) or a ripe banana. Blend the fruit in a blender with 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp of olive oil, and 1 tsp of honey. Massage the mixture into hair and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse and shampoo.
9) Epsom Salts: Remove that greasy buildup with this great tip. Mix 1 tbsp of salts with 1 cup of water. Massage into hair. Let sit and rinse well!
10) Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is absorbed the best by your hair so try this tip. Take a generous handful of coconut oil and work it through your hair root to tip. Cover your hair with a shower cap and let the oil sit for 30 minutes.
*Use these recipes immediately after creating them so they won't spoil.
**Christmas is around the corner! As a great gift for the hair lover in your family gather these ingredients into a gift basket and print or transcribe this list onto lovely paper to include with the present.