Sunday, July 7, 2013
MEAL OF THE MONTH: JULY
Hello to all our loyal listeners!!! We are excited to be back after our mid-summer hiatus! Everyone in the office took some much needed time off to travel and relax. Timmy, spend his time off as lead camp counselor of Camp Hop To It, a survival camp for polliwog enthusiasts. Connie went to Saudi Arabia to attend a women's rights conference. Ironically she returned wearing a burka and refusing to drive. hmm, strange! Wendell went to tap dance camp and wants to "tap" a "liberated"Connie. Kathleen spent vacation fishing in Fiji. Finally Michael took a cruise to Novia Scotia (eh?).
Anyone can top a hot dog with ketchup, mustard, and relish but you can't top these great new ideas from our friends at Good Housekeeping Magazine!
1.) Pimento-Cheese Dogs: Combine 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, 1/4 cup minced, jarred pimientos, 4 tbsp mayo, and 1/2 tsp of hot sauce. This should cover 4 hot dogs!
2.) Everything Bagel Dogs: Beat 3 tbsp cream cheese, 2 tbsp milk, 1/4 tsp salt until smooth. Divide among 4 hot dogs and sprinkle with poppy seeds and 2 chopped green onions.
3.) Spicy Blue Cheese Dogs: Combine 1 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/2 tsp cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp hot sauce, 3 ounces crumbled blue cheese. Divide among 4 hot dogs.
4.) BLT Dogs: Divid 1/4 cup mayo, 1/2 cup sliced romaine, 1 chopped tomato, and 6 slices, crumbled, cooked bacon among 4 hot dogs.
You could explore some ideas we brainstormed here in the office:
- Grilled vegetables (Vermont Veggie Dog)
- Guacamole (California Dog)
- Coleslaw or potato salad (store bought or homemade) (Down Home Dog)
- Fresh salad ingredients such as cucumbers (Re-Fresh Dog)
- Nacho Dog: Top with crushed tortilla chips, salsa or queso sauce, and sliced, pickled jalapeno slices
- Bacon Dog: Wrap your hot dog in slices of bacon and grill until perfection.
- Caprese Salad Dog: Top your dog with fresh, chopped mozzarella, chopped tomato, and basil.
- Shanghai Dog: Saute shredded bok choy, carrots, and mushroom. Mix with teriyaki sauce. For an extra kick, add siraracha hot sauce!
- Mac N' Cheese Dog: This one's for the the kids (or kids at heart). Top your hot dog with left over macaroni and cheese and a thin, dill pickle slice.
Get grilling tonight!